When it comes to hybrid and electric vehicles, the Nissan Leaf, Renault Zoe, and Tesla models are often the first to come to mind. However, there are many other options that are much more than just eco-friendly, with 0-60mph times that will leave you in awe.
As car buyers today seek low running costs and good fuel economy, manufacturers are finding ways to improve electric motors and hybrids to meet legislation on engine emissions. In fact, electric and hybrid sports cars are becoming increasingly popular, and some models can compete with or even outperform fossil-fuel counterparts.
Read on for our top 10 hybrid and electric sports cars that are not only stylish and eco-friendly, but also high-performing.
- Honda NSX: A powerful hybrid super-sports car with a 3.5-litre V6 twin-turbo engine and three electric motors that can achieve 0-62mph in just 2.9 seconds and a top speed of 191mph.
- Tesla Model S P100D: With a quick 0-60mph time of just 2.5 seconds, a top speed of 155mph, and a driving range of 381 miles, this all-electric car is incredibly impressive.
- BMW i8: A plug-in hybrid car with a 1.5-litre three-cylinder Mini Cooper engine that can achieve 0-60mph in just 4.5 seconds and a top speed of 155mph. It's also a four-wheel drive with balanced handling and responsive feedback.
- Lexus LC-500h: A stylish car with a hybrid engine and an innovative CVT gearbox that can achieve 0-60mph in just 4.7 seconds and a top speed of 155mph.
- Porsche Panamera Hybrid: With a choice of two models, this hybrid car can achieve 0-60mph in just 4.6 seconds and a top speed of 172mph (E-Hybrid) or 3.4 seconds and a top speed of 192mph (Turbo-S E-Hybrid).
- Lexus RC 300h: Available as a petrol model or a hybrid, this car has a 2.5-litre petrol engine coupled with an electric motor and a CVT gearbox that can achieve 0-60mph in 8.6 seconds and a top speed of 118mph.
- Honda CR-Z: A fun hybrid sports car that uses a manual gearbox and has a combined 135bhp that can achieve 0-60mph in 9.0 seconds. Its low-slung suspension and nimble handling make it a joy to drive.
- Audi A3 Sportback e-Tron: A hybrid version of the standard A3 that can achieve 0-62mph in 7.6 seconds with low CO2 emissions and great fuel economy. It also features excellent build quality and practicality as a five-door hatchback.
- Tesla Model X P100D: Although classified as an SUV, this all-electric car can achieve a 0-60mph speed of just 2.9 seconds and a top speed of 155mph.
- McLaren P1: A limited-build hypercar that is a plug-in hybrid sports car that can achieve 0-62mph in 2.8 seconds, a quarter of a mile in 9.8 seconds, and a top speed of 217mph.